Thursday, September 20, 2007

Knowledge Day

The presentation I decided to attend was Marc Spooner's "The purpose of university experience: What are you doing here anyways?!" This was a very interesting presentation due to the fact that it was not a presentation at all. It was more of a discussion between Mr. Spooner and the audience. Instead of standing on the stage talking at the audience, he choose to sit near the group and engage us in the topic of why we attended university.

When asked why we attended university, typical answers emerged: to further our education and to get a better job. But Mr. Spooner pointed out to us that it is most important to further our literacy skills. We should use our literary skills to change the world. He also explained a change that had occurred in the view towards a university education; this was a change from going to university to develop and further a philosophy of life towards having a more financially comfortable life.

Mr. Spooner furthered the discussion by advising us to get involved with campus organizations. He believes that good citizens are active citizens; citizens involves in causes. He ended this discussion by stating that we should get involved with as many clubs as possible, do not just learn in the classroom.

I am extremely pleased by the discussion put forth by Mr. Spooner. It has actually affected the way I view my university experience. I was initially one of those who viewed university as a means for achieving a degree in order to get a good job. Now, while I still view university somewhat like this, I realize that I should also see university for the experience I am receiving from it.

2 comments:

Larissa Shasko said...

Wow, sounded like a good workshop to attend! I had another class, but had my eye on that one. I agree with your insight, and it has sparked some insight of my own. I'd like to get involved with the Regina Public Interest Research Group (R.P.I.R.G.). University is a place to work hard, but you are absolutely right about it being more than that. It can also be a great life experience if we let it!

Thanks for the upbeat attitude!

Larissa

Trees for our children... said...

RPIRG meetings are 4:30pm Mondays(today) in the Ridell food court seating! Come see what its all about!